All About Daily Omaha News

Black Mold Problems Can Go Undetected in Apartments Without Proper Testing

Nov 18

Mold problems can go undetected in apartments without proper testing.

Sometimes finding mold in your apartment may seem like an uphill battle.  When you cannot see or smell the mold, it can be difficult to prove that there is a problem.  If mold is present behind baseboards, inside walls, below floors or within insulation, you wouldn't know it's there without help from trained professionals.

Testing for mold with equipment employed by private companies including black mold tests and moisture meters can yield results that show you what needs to be done to address the issue; but only if they are backed up by visual inspections.  Tests for moisture levels alone will not tell you whether there is toxic black mold present or where you should start cleaning.

Tests for black mold in an apartment can lead to serious health problems if you are not sure what type of mold is present.   If the initial testing comes back negative, this does not mean that black mold is not growing in your apartment; it simply means that you haven't found it yet.  Professional inspections will provide the information needed to explain why symptoms such as persistent respiratory infections or chronic fatigue continue to plague tenants even when they move out of their apartments with suspected mold problems.

Black mold symptoms include but are not limited to increased susceptibility to respiratory infection, frequent headaches, chronic fatigue, and constant runny noses.  Left untreated, these symptoms do not tend to go away on their own which makes identifying the source of the problem that much more important.

Professional mold testing is required by certified restoration companies,  when working with any type of mold including black mold and in any situation where there has been a water damage event such as floods, leaks or pipe breaks.  The presence of moisture in an apartment also increases the risk of developing asthma and allergies in children and adults alike.

Water Damage Disasters are a Big Contributor To Mold Problems When Not Restored and Dried Out Properly

Water damage disasters can be caused by a number of things including floods, leaks, and pipe breaks.  These events not only create an environment where black mold can flourish undetected; they also create conditions that make it difficult for you to remain healthy until the problem is resolved.

When water sits in one spot for too long, it begins to degrade any materials beneath it which releases mold spores into the air.  If you allow the water to dry out naturally, these spores are left intact which means that their growth will continue until factors such as temperature or humidity are changed.

This makes moving your belongings out of the apartment problematic since everything may have become home to toxic black mold without your knowledge so long as there was moisture present somewhere in the apartment.

Black mold problems can go undetected in apartments without proper testing for more than just the black mold itself.  A professional inspection of your belongings that had to be moved outside will show which items are safe to bring back into living spaces and which ones need to be stored elsewhere while you wait for them to be cleaned.

Professional inspections also provide an opportunity to identify any potential health hazards posed by materials used in construction or renovations prior to residents moving back into their apartments.  Asbestos, lead paint, and radon gas are all common concerns that require special handling during cleanup efforts when detectable levels are present in an apartment building.

Testing is done with equipment employed by private companies including black mold tests and moisture meters can yield results that show you what needs to be done to address the issue; but only if they are backed up by visual inspections.  Tests for moisture levels alone will not tell you whether there is toxic black mold present or where you should start cleaning.

Black mold symptoms include increased susceptibility to respiratory infection, frequent headaches, chronic fatigue and constant runny noses.  Left untreated, these symptoms do not tend to go away on their own which makes identifying the source of the problem that much more important.