Omaha plans to launch another electric scooter pilot program
OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) – Two companies will participate in the city’s electric scooter pilot program in 2021, according to a release from Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert.
The two participating companies are Spin and Lime. Spin participated in the city’s 2019 and 2020 pilot programs. Spin participated in the 2020 pilot program. Both responded to a call for proposals to work in Omaha for up to four years.
Based on the 2019 and 2020 programs, Park Omaha gave the city some recommendations for the future:
- The city should make agreements with one or more operators for 1 to 4 years, taking into account the criteria set for the 2020 pilot project
- The scooter program is being expanded to include designated “equity zones” in order to promote mobility
- Development of a charging infrastructure for scooters
- Develop a fee structure
- Create a strategic mobility plan for the city center
“Alternative modes of transport are becoming increasingly popular and important. Our two pilots have provided information and data showing the demand for scooters for both recreation and transportation,” said Mayor Jean Stothert.
After reviewing the proposals from both companies, a recommendation will be sent to the Mayor and City Council of Omaha.
Results of the 2020 pilot program:
- Number of trips: 36,283
- Number of miles: 50,613
- Average trip 1.46 miles, 18:26 minutes
- Most used areas:
- Inner city: 76% of all trips 27,374 trips in total
- Midtown: 16%, 5,804 trips
- Aksarben: 6%, 2,178 trips
- Benson: 2% 156 trips
- Dundee: 2%, 677 trips
Results of the 2019 pilot program:
- Number of trips: 208,847
- Number of miles: 235,007
- Average trip 1.14 miles, 15:43 minutes
- Most used areas:
- Inner city: 72% of all journeys 150,350 journeys in total
- Midtown: total trips 34,052, an average of 63 per day
- Aksarben: total trips 20,031 59 per day
- Benson 7,486 trips a total of 20 per day
Download our apps today for the latest information.
Get the latest news and weather straight to your inbox.